Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Asbestos and the Fire Service - A Guest Blog Entry from Orlando, Florida

Crysotile Asbestos in the raw mineral state
National Asbestos Mortality Map - Click to Enlarge
Click Here to Visit the Web Site

I received an Email several days ago from a reader of our Blog from Orlando, Florida.

Matthew Phillips is a student at the University of Central Florida and he was interested in sharing some information that he is very passionate about. That being the proper care that should be taken when it comes to a firefighter’s health, especially with Asbestos exposure while extinguishing fires.
Matthew Phillips Guest Blog Article appears below along with some links for you to check out.

ASBESTOS AND THE FIRE SERVICE
Being vigilant is hard work, and it's a huge part of being a firefighter. But it's not enough to keep your eyes open for everyday occupational hazards. Sometimes it takes a little information to protect yourself. Cancer may not seem like an occupational hazard that a firefighter needs to watch out for, but it certainly is. In older buildings and homes, builders used a natural mineral called asbestos. It can still be found in dry wall and in insulation in those homes. Asbestos is fire-resistant, and was supposed to make a lot of homes safer for a lot of people. Today, when those homes are disturbed, for example, as you break down the walls of a burning building, asbestos fibers are released into the air. When inhaled, they may cause a deadly cancer that can attack the lungs: mesothelioma. Mesothelioma symptoms can include shortness of breath and chest heaviness. Sound familiar? They should. These symptoms are often confused with other more common, more treatable diseases. Even worse, mesothelioma symptoms are latent, often for up to 50 years. By then, the cancer has spread and treatment is either difficult or impossible.The government has taken measures to protect professionals like firefighters, military veterans, and construction and demolition workers from asbestos exposure. Though they passed laws, like 1971's OSHA, that were supposed to protect those exposed to asbestos, there are still thousands that don't get the protection they need and deserve. Organizations like the AFL-CIO are rallying behind those who have already been exposed to asbestos and have developed mesothelioma. Though an act was passed to provide for victims, groups like AFL-CIO are fighting for more support.So what can you do? Find out more about asbestos exposure and the dangers of mesothelioma. Search the web; ask a doctor; visit a library. There are resources designed to provide us with what we need to know. With more information, you have a better chance of avoiding asbestos exposure. You've always protected us. It's time for you to protect yourselves.



Thanks Matthew for sharing this with our readers.
Remember, ALWAYS wear your SCBA!!
Especially during Overhaul at a Fire Scene!!!
Chief Barlow


Dear Chief Barlow,
I wanted to send you a quick message, and see if I would be able to write a guest blog on your site (Concord High School Fire Academy). I’m very passionate about the proper care that should be taken when it comes to a firefighter’s health, especially with Asbestos exposure while extinguishing fires. I noticed that you had some health related information in some of your blog posts and I feel that an article on this topic would be of great interest to the readers of http://chsfireacademy.blogspot.com/.
Matthew Phillips, living in Orlando, Florida is a student at the University of Central Florida. MattPhillips00@gmail.com

20 comments:

  1. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. gpwlaw-mi.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insight for your fantastic posting. I’m glad I have taken the time to see this. https://www.gpwlaw-mi.com/indiana-mesothelioma-lawyer/

    ReplyDelete
  3. New web site is looking good. Thanks for the great effort. https://www.gpwlaw-mi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. Visit Us

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post. Asbestos Cancer Org.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing Website

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always come across interesting articles like this one.Great Job, I greatly appreciate that.Do Keep sharing! Regards, https://asbestoscancer.org/mesothelioma-cells/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post. I was reviewing this blog continuously, and I am impressed! Extremely helpful information especially this page. Thank you and good luck. buy guest post

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. school in delhiIf possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. הדפסה על מוצרים

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. asbestos cancer organization

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. https://asbestoscancer.org/stage-three-mesothelioma/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have express a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon…
    https://asbestoscancer.org/epithelioid-mesothelioma/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent blog I visit this blog it's really awesome.The important thing is that in this blog content written clearly and understandable.Content of information is very informative. Thanks for excelent and great idea.keep blogging
    Mesothelioma Lawyer NY

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible blog I visit this blog it's truly awesome.The significant thing is that in this blog substance composed obviously and understandable.Content of data is educational.
    Thanks for excellent and great idea.keep blogging

    Top Mesothelioma Lawyer NewYork

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work Michigan Mesothelioma lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  17. After reading your article I was amazed. I know that you explain it very well. And I hope that other readers will also experience how I feel after reading your article. guest post

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for a very interesting blog. What else may I get that kind of info written in such a perfect approach? I’ve a undertaking that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the look out for such info. Social bookmarking

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always rewarding to hear from our readers, and the connection reaches even from Orlando, Florida! We appreciate the support and invite you to explore the expertise of our recommended fit-out contractor for top-notch interior transformations.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Delighted to receive an email from a valued reader in Orlando, Florida. For exceptional fit-out solutions, explore our offerings at fit out contractors Dubai.

    ReplyDelete